The Hip Harness Cocoon Swaddle Bag is for babies who are being treated for Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH), and are required to wear a special brace (orthosis).
This zip-up swaddle is TOG rated for warmth to keep your baby snug and securely swaddled during sleep. The extra wide bell-shaped bottom is approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute as being hip-healthy and comfortably fits over a Pavlik Harness, Denis Browne Brace and Rhino Brace.
Being TOG-rated means that the 2.5 TOG can be used on its own in room temperatures between 17-23°C / 63-73°F with no blankets in the bassinet or cot to make this a safe sleep option for a newborn or baby.
The chest area is 1.0TOG rated to prevent overheating and allow for full chest expansion when breathing. Parents can choose to have their baby’s arms inside the swaddle (if your child has a strong startle reflex), or to open the poppers on the shoulder and use as an arms-out sleeping bag.
When on your child, the swaddle will have additional length below the harness. This length can be left as is, or rolled up underneath the harness for your child’s brace to rest on if that’s comfortable for them. Once your child is out of their brace, they can continue to safely use the Hip Harness Cocoon Swaddle Bag for sleep until they are ready to move into another one of our Sleeping Bags.
The Cocoon Swaddle Bag is made from and filled with GOTS certified organic cotton, with a touch of elastane. This means it’s firm enough to restrict startle reflex whilst still allowing stretch and movement for healthy growth. The stretch also allows for full chest expansion when breathing, added comfort, and for a baby to move its hands into a self-settling position inside the swaddle. The soft, breathable organic cotton will help prevent overheating during sleep, is certified non-toxic, dyed with water based dyes, and gentle on newborn skin and skin prone to eczema breakouts. A zip enclosure also protects your child’s delicate skin, and the two-way zipper makes for quick and easy nappy changes during sleep.
We suggest layering underneath as needed for warmth, simply follow our handy FREE room thermometer and what to wear guide included with the product to help dress your child appropriately. We recommend pairing the Swaddle with one of our TOG-rated Layers or Bodywear underneath (sold separately, we suggest going up a size in Layers to fit over a harness or brace).
The Cocoon Swaddle Bag meets all safety standards in Australia and New Zealand and is reviewed by the Eczema Association of Australasia as a skin-friendly product.
- GOTS certified organic cotton
- Bamboo Viscose
- Breathable Natural Fibres
- Super Stretchy
- Bell-shaped bottom
- Converts to sleeping bag
- Keeps baby snug
- TOG-rated for warmth
- Zip enclosure
- Two-way zip
- Certified non-toxic
- No blankets needed
- Machine washable
- Body: 95% Organic Cotton / 5% Elastane
- Lining: 95% Organic Cotton / 5% Elastane
- Filling: 100% Organic Cotton
HOW TO USE
1. Lay Cocoon on flat, low surface with zip open and arm studs closed
2. Lay baby on top of Cocoon. Tuck legs/brace into swaddle, and zip up with baby’s hands in desired position (by sides, or across chest). The extra length of the swaddle can be rolled up underneath the brace, for your child’s brace to rest on if thats comfortable for them.
3. To change a nappy or cool down baby, zip open from the bottom of the swaddle to release legs/brace and lower torso. Zip closed again when finished.
4. Layer underneath the swaddle for warmth as needed
5. To transition to arms-out sleeping once showing signs of rolling, release arms by opening the studs on the shoulders. We suggest doing this one arm at a time over several days.
6. The Cocoon can continue to be used as a safe sleep option once your baby’s harness is no longer required.
If your newborn baby does not like being swaddled, it is safe to sleep the in the Cocoon Swaddle Bag with their arms out from the beginning.
Always sleep your baby in a safe-sleep environment.
Gentle cold wash, Low tumble dry, Moderately Hot Iron, Drycleanable, Do not use bleach-based stain removers on the garment.
Ensure you buy the correct size for your baby’s weight, to prevent the Cocoon Swaddle Bag from riding up around your baby’s face. See our Size Guide for more information.
Not suitable for use in a 5 point harness.
As this product is made from organic cotton and bamboo and is not treated with chemical fire retardants the following fire label applies.